First of all, WTH is Fangtastic Friday?
It’s my new “celebrate the awesomeness of vampires” day. Friday is a pretty awesome day all on its own, so jazzing it up with a little fang can only make it better… right?!
Read on, my friends, and check out our first Fangtastic Friday recap!
This past Sunday, my friend Monique (TxTwilightGirl) had a big Twilight-inspired birthday bash.
Now you might be thinking “ok, that’s weird”, but it’s actually pretty appropriate considering we all met through the Austin Twilighters meetup group. That, and Monique is generally enthralled by all things Twilight… and especially Edward. But hey, as long as he leaves his shirt on, who can blame her?! *grin*
Anyway, the party decorations were fantastic (erm, fangtastic anyone?) so I took a few photos to share with all of you. Sonia, a craftily talented new member of our group, did all the heavy scrapbooking and she did an awesome job. Monique and our meetup group Coordinator, Ashley, also whipped up a yummy red velvet cake and decorated it with Eclipse-themed photo icing (purchased from this Etsy store). To see the eye candy, check out the photos below (and above!)…
SO! If you’re a Twihard, or are hosting a party for a TwiFan, here are a few helpful tips to get you started:
- Get out of your headspace and just have fun. Don’t feel silly or think you’re “too old” to enjoy the theme! Women (and men!) of all ages love this series, so don’t be ashamed to enjoy yourself.
- The invites can be as reference-rich as you have the smarts to make ’em. Monique made up a cute little rhyme for her evites (I’ll put it in the section below this) that matched the style of party she was having.
- Photos of/references to Edward, Jacob, and Bella are a must, but don’t forget about the other cast members! Maybe your Twihard has a Carlisle crush or keeps an eye on Alice’s fashion trends? Feel free to go with that instead of overdoing the Holy Trinity deco.
- Quotes from the movies/books set in inexpensive frames (scrapbook style) can look trendy and fun and still be affordable.
- Table settings and other accent decorations don’t have to be “official” twilight items, nor do they have to be expensive “vampire” novelty items. Look for things that represent items or themes from the books that are more widely available, like large chess pieces (pawns or queens) and red apples.
- The menu can be anything from chocolate strawberries to fresh berries and cookies to red velvet cake with photo icing. Find out what your Twihard likes, and be imaginative!
- The entertainment can be anything from a sparkle-tastic poolside shindig to a cozy living room viewing of your favorite Twilight movie(s)… or anything that brings your group together! (We voted between True Blood S3 and Van Helsing… and of course True Blood won out, because who can resist Eric Northman?!)
- Last, but certainly not least, find out if your Twihard is Team Edward or Team Jacob, and try to find one of those life-sized cardboard stand-ups of the character. Comic book stores usually have these, although they can be pricey, or you may have some luck online. If you order online, keep in mind it will probably have to be folded, so shipping might be higher (and unless you drive a school bus, you’re going to have to fold it to get it into your car anyway… 😉 ).
“How long have you been 24?”
Let’s just say…Awhile….
It’s time to bring on 25 with a brand new style!
The party’s out by the pool
where the sun is hot, and the water’s cool.
So, don’t worry if you sparkle,
this isn’t Forks High School!
So bring your towel and your swim suit, and jump in the pool with a loud woot, woot!
I’ll have food to satisfy your thirst,
but you can bring your favorite chips or “snack” in case you’re eternally cursed 🙂
Come for food and some games,
And maybe a movie if it rains.
So, I’ll say it…OUT LOUD,
HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT!
Let me know if you’ll be part of the crowd!
Hope you enjoyed my first Fangtastic Friday post! Let me know if you have any suggestions for future Fangtastic Friday topics or want to request a specific book review. If you’re not yet a subscriber to my blog, enter your email address in the box at the bottom of the right-hand sidebar to get all my newest posts emailed directly to you. OR, just enter https://gravetells.wordpress.com in your RSS viewer. Look for new book review posts on Tuesdays and Thursdays.